Sunday, January 22, 2012

Jewelry Hanger

I have seen several different types of jewelry hangers and knew I wanted to do one for my bigger necklaces and my earrings.  Ninety percent of my jewelry has been packed away since we moved back in March because I wasn't sure what to do with it all.  I had forgotten just how much I had!  I'm really excited because now I can see everything that I have and will, hopefully, be able to accessorize better and look more put together!  When I was originally thinking of what I wanted to do, I thought this would be a good idea for my necklaces:
(Just so you know, if you decide to do something like this, you can get all the materials from Ikea for around $5 total!  The wall bracket thing is $1.99 and the hooks come in packages of 10 for $.99.  It's in the kitchen section.)

And this for my earrings:

When we were at the container store yesterday, we found this and I realized I could do something with it for my jewelry!  I already had hooks that I could use for my necklaces from something we purchased a while back and didn't use and my earrings could just hang.

So last night, Tim hung it up for me.  We were originally going to put it in my closet but I realized there wasn't wall space that wouldn't be covered by hanging clothes, so I wouldn't be able to see everything and that kind of defeated the purpose of even hanging all the jewelry.  We decided it would look good above my hand towel on my side of the bathroom.  It started like this:
Then I realized that it kind of looked messy and needed something behind it.  So today I went to Michael's, got some foam board then got some fabric from Walmart and some pins.  Here's how I did it.

I measured, marked, scored and broke/cut the foam board to fit behind the metal rack.
Then I laid it on top of the fabric (in a perfect world, I would have ironed the fabric first, but in a perfect world, I would have measured the rack correctly the first time and wouldn't have had to go back and cut it three different times to make it fit AFTER I already had the fabric on and thought I was done...), I pinned the fabric into the foam board with straight pins.  I did the top row first, then the bottom row, making sure to pull it really tight.

Then for the ends, I folded them like I was wrapping a present and pinned one end, pulled it really tight, and pinned other end.

The rack came with 4 brackets - 2 for the top, 2 for the bottom - but we only used them on the top because I wanted to be able to slide this in and out easily.  Plus, who knows when I will want to change the fabric to a different color!  So I slid the board behind the rack and viola!

I think it turned out pretty well and I really like the pop of color that the yellow gives the whole bathroom!  It was (obviously) very simple considering it's just a fabric covered foam board.  I think the hardest part of the project was untangling all of my jewelry!  :-)

1 comment:

Catie said...

I am so impressed! You are getting so good with crafts!