Wednesday, July 21, 2010

"You're going to be a daddy"


I thought I would share the way I told Tim that he was going to be a daddy! Believe it or not, Tim was not the first person I told that I was pregnant. It was actually Mandy! You see, Tim had flown out to Southern California to see his grandparents for a long weekend before his graduation and I stayed home because I had to work. Neither one of us knew or even suspected that I could be pregnant. It's kind of funny because the day before I found out, I actually posted on Facebook that I was having pickles for breakfast. I had several responses asking if I was pregnant, to which I responded, "Heck, no!"

That Monday, I realized that I was a few days "late" and thought I should probably take a pregnancy test just to rule that out. Now, in the 4 years we have been married, I've probably taken 8 pregnancy tests, so I was totally expecting to look at that test and see only one line. Imagine my surprise when I looked at it and there were TWO blue lines! I then proceeded to take 2 more tests (then 1 more that night and 1 more the next day!) I didn't know what to do, but I knew I didn't want to call Tim while he was on vacation and tell him the news on the phone. I just couldn't imagine not telling him face to face. So, I called Mandy and screamed and panicked over the phone to her. I asked her to help me come up with ideas on how to tell Tim. We decided that I would make a sign for when I picked up Tim from the airport and I would also make shirts for the dogs. I went to Walmart on my lunch break the next day (Tim was arriving that evening) and got all the supplies I needed. I made Annie a tank top that said "Big Sister" and Leo a shirt that said "Big Brother". I finished up the sign that evening, put the shirts on the dogs, and headed to the airport to pick up Tim.

As I was there, I could hardly breathe because I was so nervous about telling him. He called me to tell me he was walking down the terminal so I hurried in front of everyone standing around so not everyone saw the sign. As Tim rounded the corner and could see me, I held up the sign that said "Capt, PharmD...". He saw it and shook his head out of embarrassment thinking I had just made this sign announcing his titles, but then when he looked back up I had turned the sign around and it read "Daddy-to-be" with a rattle and bib on it. His jaw dropped and he kind of stopped walking for a minute. I ran up to him and hugged him. He asked "Are you serious?" and I told him I was. I started crying and we both just stood there for a second as we let it really sink in!

When we got home and he walked in to see the dogs in their shirts, he just laughed. He thought it was so cute! Oh and I also took another pregnancy test after he got home. The other 5 just weren't proof enough for me, I guess!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

sweetest story ever!! so excited for yall.

Kristal {Love, Grace & Hope} said...

That is so cute!! So glad you shared! :)