Thursday, October 7, 2010

Sugar rush!

This is what I had to do yesterday morning:

And I was proud of myself for doing it all by myself without anyone sitting next to me cheering me on telling me I could do it!  :-)

For those of you who don't know, between weeks 24 and 28 pregnant women have to go through a glucose testing process to rule out gestational diabetes.  Along with other things, if a pregnant woman has gestational diabetes, she could birth a very large baby as well as being at a risk for preterm labor.  Tim recently told me that it can also cause the baby's eyes to not develop.  So the process includes drinking a glucose drink, waiting for an hour, then having a blood draw to check how your body handled the sugar.

Anyway, I got that little drink and just chugged it in a about 30 seconds to get it over with.  Soon after that, I realized that might not have been a good idea as I started to feel very nauseous!!  Thankfully, it passed and I was fine...until about 15 minutes left in the waiting process.  I started feeling quite lightheaded and generally gross feeling.  With about 5 minutes left, I decided to ask the kind man at the lab if it was normal to feel dizzy and faint-y.  Well, it was dumb to stand up because as soon as I asked him, I stumbled backwards back into my chair and broke out in a cold sweat.  So he comes out to check on me as I'm as pale as can be and trying to keep from passing out.  He went and got a nurse and they wanted me to drink some water or eat some crackers.  I kindly declined because I was not about to have to come back another day to go through this test!!  I told them I just needed a minute, then they could go ahead and draw my blood.  I did recover and made it through the blood draw fine, but then they didn't want me to leave because they were worried about me driving.  It took a little bit of convincing, but they finally let me go.

I had kind of psyched myself out about the test, mainly the drinking portion.  I was expecting it to be like the barium I had to drink when I was a teenager and I knew there was no way I could down that.  Thankfully, it wasn't that bad.  And it was orange flavored, so that made it easy for me drink.  I'm just glad it's over.  Now, let's pray I passed so I don't have to go back and do it all over again, except I would have to wait around for 3 hours!!

1 comment:

Gloria said...

I remember when I had to do that with Kathy. Back then it was not a pleasant orange flavor. It was a gross, thick syrup. I remember feeling so nauseous and wanting to never, ever do that again.
So I can empathize with what you went through. So glad it's over!