Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Buttermilk Chess Pie...mmmmm

This is one of Tim's favorites! I make it easy by using the roll out pie crusts. I have made my own pie crusts but I don't want the daunting task of making homemade pie crust to keep me from making a pie, so I keep the roll out ones on hand. It is a custard style pie, so don't be turned off by the consistency. I bake these in twos. I am ashamed to say that Tim and I have eaten one whole pie in one sitting, it's that good!

Ingredients:
9 inch unbaked pie crust
2 cups white sugar
2 tablespoons flour
5 eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)

-Preheat oven to 350. Press crust in pie pan and flute edges (I'm not a professional fluter, I just use both of my thumbs, but I think you are supposed to use a thumb and forefinger. Maybe one day I will master the art of fluting).
-In a large bowl (I use my KitchenAid), combine sugar and flower. Add eggs all at once, mix. Add buttermilk, mix until blended. Add vanilla (and lemon if desired) to melted butter. Stir into mix. Pour filling into the pie crust.
-Bake for about 45 minutes or until filling is set. I usually start out baking it for 35 minutes, then jiggle it. If it doesn't seem quite set enough, I bake it the additional 10 minutes. It will not ever not jiggle, it just doesn't need to be really loose. Does that make sense or do I need to quit my moonlighting job as a recipe writer??

Here is a picture of the finished product:

As you can see, my fluting leaves much to be desired!

Now, go get in your huge kitchens and whip one (or two) of these up!

1 comment:

AliciaG said...

Ummmm....looks delicious! My Grandmother used to make this pie and it was always one of my favorites. As for fluting the crust, she used her thumb and pointer finger and just pinched the edges all the way around. I don't know if that is what you are doing, but if not, you might try it!