Wednesday, March 7, 2012

One year ago...

...I walked out of the Amarillo airport, carrying a 7 week old with tears streaming down my face.  I had just said "good bye" to Tim for 5 weeks.  I had no idea how I was going to make it the 5 weeks without him.  I tried to be the sweet, understanding wife but I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little angry.  I was still trying to get the hang of this whole mommy thing and now he was going away.  We both knew it was the right decision for our family.  And God has blessed our decision in ways we never could have imagined.  But those 5 weeks were hard.  I'm very aware that those weeks were just a taste of what life will be like during a deployment, but at the time it was the longest we had been apart during our married life.  During those 5 weeks, Robby turned 2, then 3 months old.  I oversaw the packing of our house and moved to a new city.  I spent time with my family in Arkansas and made my first airplane trip with a baby by myself.  I'm so thankful that the past year is over.  We grew and changed a lot, but thankfully we grew closer together and changed in ways that bettered our relationship.  Our love today is stronger than it was a year ago - it's stronger than it was yesterday!  We are so thankful that God has sustained us during times apart and throughout all the changes we have experienced.

Here we were a year ago:


And here is what happened around here today:


Tim has 10 days of paternity leave that he is taking right now.  I am LOVING him being home!  We have gotten out every day, even if I just sit in the car while he runs in and gets things.  He and Robby have gone on wagon walks to get the mail or have gone to have "man dates" at Best Buy.  At night, he's been getting up with me to change Charlie's diaper while I get ready to feed him.  We've stayed up later than parents to newborns should just watching TV together and staring at our sleeping babies.  He's getting a little taste of what it's like to take care of Robby all day since I can't pick him up.  It's going to be so hard when he has to go back to work, but I'm incredibly grateful that he gets this time off to spend with our newly expanded family!

*Note: I'm still working on the birth story.  I started it a few nights ago but was too emotional to finish it.  Dang hormones!  I am hoping to finish it up to post tomorrow for his one week birthday.*

1 comment:

Emily Tyler said...

This post is just so beautiful. God is so good. I am getting teary eyed thinking about it all and how wonderful it all is today! You have such a beautiful family. You are a great example of a good wife and mamma. Love ya.